Yes, there is a saying that goes “Two are better than one if two act as one“, and that is how I would describe ZOID latest model – Dual Face. Even with 2 watch dials functionality, both definitely act as a single watch on your wrist and even the late Steve Jobs quoted “Quality is more important than Quantity. One home run is much better than two doubles.” The Dual Face is definitely a home run in this sense, where it focuses a single function which is to tell time, but in 2 different options on the wrist. ZOID have been producing watches that makes wearer stand out and they definitely have up’ed a notch here with the Dual Face in comparing to their previous model Mastermind which was covered earlier.
Here’s what you need to know about Dual Face :
- Case: 316L Stainless steel case and brush finish with various colour ion-plating.
- Case size: 54 x 52mm
- Case thickness: 14mm
- Movement: Japanese Miyota Automatic self winding mechanism and up to 42 hours power reserve.
- Water Resistance: Up to 50m/ 5ATM
- Winding crown: Pull out crown with custom embossed ZOID logo.
- Dial: Compressed carbon fibre.
- Hands: Custom hands applied with super luminova.
- Crystal: Sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating.
- Strap: Genuine calf leather with embossed croco pattern with twisting mechanism.
- Buckle: 316L Stainless steel with Blue ion-plating and Special cast buckle with laser engraved logo and twisting mechanism.
- Each variation is a Limited edition of 10 pieces only.
So what’s my quick summary and first impression of it…
- The switching & twisting mechanism between the 2 watch dials, strap and buckle ! It feels solidly made and switching is at ease.
- The dual watch dial concept. The dual strap colour concept. You can mix and match with your outfit or occasion up to 4 different combinations.
- The colour choices on the dial and strap.
- The shape of the case maybe long, but it actually sits comfortably on my wrist because the thickness is just right.
- 2 different dial design. Even the display of the movement is different from each other.
And what’s my dislike about it…
- The date feature ! It’s really really really small, I can’t even see it… I would rather have that removed.
- The crown protector is a nice touch but i would prefer it to be somewhat similar to U-Boat (chain) or Panerai (fixed) style.
- It’s a cool idea with the switching and twisting mechanism, but that would limit the wearer with the strap choices as well. I understand that it’s possible to change, but if only there is an add-on that we can easily insert and put our favourite strap onto it easily. Like an adaptor. Just a thought…
Here’s my detailed review of ZOID Dual Face :
Case : It’s rather unique as not many watches out there have the same width size. The only model I know of that has similarity to this is Azimuth Crazy Rider. Anyway, the case is well built and symmetrically aligned in terms of the proportion of width vs length. I love how each side of the case has different colour finishing and with 4 nuts at each corner. I’m not sure if ZOID will include a tool that would fit the nut size in case there is a need for tightening required. On both sides of the case, there is a crown protector that clips onto the edge, which I feel it’s not very secure. That is why I would have prefer if it was a different style such as U-Boat’s loose chain or Panerai’s fixed protector. Moving onto the lug side of the case where the switching / twisting mechanism is applied. I have to say that I’m pretty impressed at the ease of swapping and how the spring pulls back to lock it, was pretty quick and firm. The steps to change is very simple and only take 2 seconds : All you need to do is pull, twist, let go and done.
Dial : I love how the 2 dials are totally different in terms of colours and design. As you can see from the photos, it’s actually from a single watch, but it looks like as though it’s 2 different watches right ? As mentioned earlier, the date to me is rather useless because of its’ size. I love how the sunray silver dial’s incorporated 2 semi circles and how the positioning of the 8, 9 and 10 o’clock numbering didn’t effect me from telling the time. I also love there is a different type of view on the other side of the dial, which incorporates a carbon dial background and a matching wheel theme, as it spins whenever there is any movement.
Strap : Surprisingly, to fit 2 different colours on each side, the strap isn’t that thick. Made from genuine calf leather with embossed crocodile pattern, and installed onto the twisting mechanism via the same nut on the case. As I have mentioned earlier, it would be nice to have an adaptor to use the normal straps as an additional option. As you can see, you can easily mix and match the strap with the case whenever, wherever without any tools. The buckle is another part of the watch that has the similar twisting mechanism.
Switching & Twisting Mechanism : Pull, twist, let go. As simple as A, B, C and it only takes 2 seconds to change. I feel a lot of effort must have been spent on how to perfect this concept and I applaud ZOID for successfully implementing it. I would say this is definitely the star of the watch because I am always able to mix and match, whenever and wherever without the need for a tool or to carry any extra straps or watch case with me.
Overall Conclusion To My Hands-On Review
It definitely checks all of the necessary requirement to make my wrist stand out among the crowd because after wearing it for a week plus, I had many strangers looking at it and some even dared to ask me what am I wearing. You can definitely feel the weight, after-all there are 2 automatic movement embedded into a single watch case. I really enjoy wearing it and it will definitely make it into my top 3 favourite weekend + travel watch if I ever own this. To top it all, each variation comes in 10 pieces and that’s super awesome to know you are 1 of the 10 people on this earth to own this watch of that particular variation. If you are in Singapore, you can always pop over to TVG at Mandarin Gallery, Orchard to check it out. Look for Ms. Rachel or Mr. Alex (da man himself) and expect top notch royalty service from them ! Thank you once again to TVG for the opportunity to hands-on ZOID’s Dual Face…